Monday, December 18, 2006

This little Light of Mine

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

----------------

I am looking for input on this - how do we let our light shine? I ask this because I would like to let my light shine, but I have a feeling it doesn't. No one around me knows my relationship with God, how he helps me with big things and little things, I have prayer time and church time (and am lacking on the Bible study time) but it's all like my little secret.

When I think of who I know or see at church whose light is shining, I think of the Pastor, several of the leaders, they are naturally more visible. I guess what "shines" most from them is when they share something they are praying about, or experiences.

I tend to keep quiet about my thoughts and experiences, (well except for this blog). People in a group setting are usually not at a point where there is no one itching to speak, so I take a back seat and contribute little. Maybe that is not the place to shine, when I'm in the midst of other candles. But no that is wrong too. seeing more people "shining" will add inspiration and will help others to catch the flame too. The more lights shining the better.

Others who come to mind when I ask myself "who do I know that is letting their light shine" - are the friendly people who make a point to greet you at a gathering, come up all smiles and say something friendly, remember your name (usually they surprise me if they know my name and of course I don't know theirs, so I feel a tad awkward but then try to discover their name without letting on), and they give your shoulder a friendly squeeze or offer a handshake. They may not say a single religious thing but they seem all aglow and I'd have to say their light is shining bright.

Of course to let your light shine you have to have a light. I do have a light, I just want to know in what ways I can let it shine.

And maybe my light shines and I don't know. Still I'd like to hear from anyone else who may chance accross this blog if they have any ideas of how to let our light shine :)

0 comments: